The Young Mathematicians Conference (YMC) is a premier annual conference for undergraduate research in mathematics. Accepted students (typically around 65) are invited with support to the conference during a weekend at the Department of Mathematics of the Ohio State University.
Highlights of every conference are three plenary lectures by highly accomplished researchers and educators. These talks introduce students to advanced, innovative, and exciting topics in mathematics. Speakers in the past included recipients of the Fields Medal, the MacArthur and Sloan Fellowships, Pólya and Nevanlinna Prizes, as well as of the Haimo, Chauvenet, and Allendoerfer Awards for excellence in exposition and teaching.
In addition to student and plenary presenters, the YMC has much to offer future mathematicians. The YMC includes a Graduate School Orientation event in which representatives from various PhD programs from around the country provide information and insights about a graduate career in mathematics. Moreover, the YMC presents a venue for young mathematicians to collaborate, and share ideas. Finally, the YMC regularly invites faculty mentors of undergraduate research projects. Besides chairing sessions and accompanying mentees, they exchange their experiences during the traditional mentor breakfast as well as other social occasions.
The Young Mathematicians Conference series started in the summer of 2003 and, until 2006, was supported by the NSF/VIGRE grant awarded to the Department of Mathematics (DMS-0135308 2002-2007). YMC 2007 was supported by its own NSF grant DMS-0732622. YMC 2009-2012 were supported by the three year NSF grant DMS-0841054. YMC 2013-2015 were supported by the three year NSF grant DMS-1252904. The YMC is currently supprorted by NSF grant DMS-1550117 and DMS-1916606. Additional funds are provided by the MRI at the Ohio State Mathematics Department, as well as private donations (DWME).
2019 Plenary Speakers
- Moon Duchin (Tufts University) - Video of this lecture.
- Sam Payne (University of Texas at Austin) - Video of this lecture.
- Tatiana Toro (University of Washington) - Video of this lecture.
2018 Plenary Speakers
- Corina Calinescu (NYC College of Technology, CUNY) - Video of this lecture.
- Francis Edward Su (Harvey Mudd College) - Video of this lecture.
- Karen Smith (University of Michigan) - Video of this lecture.
2017 Plenary Speakers
- Sarah Koch (University of Michigan)
- Alex Kontorovich (Rutgers University)
- Ezra Miller (Duke University)
2016 Plenary Speakers
- Henry Segerman (Oklahoma State University) Video of this lecture.
- Ileana Streinu (Smith College) Video of this lecture.
- Melanie Wood (University of Wisconsin, Madison) Video of this lecture.
2015 Plenary Speakers
- Marty Golubitsky (Ohio State University) Video of this lecture.
- Dave Futer (Temple University) Video of this lecture.
- Svitlana Mayboroda (University of Minnesota) Video of this lecture.
2014 Plenary Speakers
- Benson Farb (University of Chicago) Video of this lecture.
- Ivelisse Rubio Canabal (University of Puerto Rico) Video of this lecture.
- Amie Wilkinson (University of Chicago) Video of this lecture.
- Ruth Charney
- Dennis DeTurck
- Robert Devaney
- Carolyn Gordon
- Aloysius Helminck
- Aparna Higgins
- Roman Holowinsky
- Thomas Kerler
- Bryna Kra
- Donal O’Shea
- Monica Visan
- Kim Whittlesey